Prevent and remove Mold, Mycotoxins and VOC's from the air of your home using only "SAFE & "qualified" air purifier technology
I can't stress enough the importance of "extreme mold avoidance" and removing yourself from the presence of any indoor environment that has moisture problems, water leaks and visible mold and invisible mold toxins. However, AFTER you have removed yourself from the environment there are ways to keep and maintain a mold-free environment.
ONLY buy an air purifier for your home that DOES NOT EMIT DANGEROUS substances like ozone, hydroxyl or use photocatalytic oxidation. In addition, make sure that the air purifier has been researched to collect and eliminate specific micron-sized mold spores and/or mycotoxins as well as all VOC's from the air.
Only the best air purifiers are able to filter toxic molds and mycotoxins
**VERY IMPORTANT: Your air purifer purchase must be proven to be effective for both toxic mold spores and mycotoxin sized microns.
Most air purification systems DO NOT MEET these requirements so pricing will be much less because you are trapping "much less" in your air purifier.
What are Microns?
A micron is a system of measurement, just like an inch or a foot. Microns are much, much smaller. One micron is one-millionth of a meter or equivalent to 1/25,400 th of an inch. Yes...incredibly small!!
Standard (as I call them mediocre) purification filters, are marketed to draw you in and convince you that they trap some pretty small particles but they do not explain to you that their systems WILL NOT capture toxic mold spores or mycotoxins. For example, some of these cheaper filtration systems can trap some large, but not very dangerous mold spores, pet dander, household dust and pollen. These particles often range in size from 5 - 10 microns in diameter. To help you put that in perspective let's compair it to an ordinary human hair. We all know that just one piece of hair is quite thin. But guess what?..an average human hair is approximately 150 microns wide! So now that you have that into perspective now you can understand the importance of what I'm about to show you as it pertains to purchasing your air purifier to protect yourself and your family from toxic mold and you will also see how buying an inferior air purifier can make you, your family or your pets sick.
Here are some standard "But Very Important" measurement facts you need to know:
- Toxic mold spores (that have the ability to produce toxigenic substances called mycotoxin can range in size from: .9 - 1.8 microns
- Other mold spores (that do not produce toxigenic substances) like allergic molds can range in size from 2-10 microns.
- Mycotoxin (The dangerous neurotoxin created by toxic mold spores) are about .1 microns in size
- FACT: Most inferior brands of air purifiers only collect particles or chemicals from 5 - 100 microns in size
This means that 90% of all purification systems sold on the market DO NOT have the capability to trap toxins less than 5 microns. So that air purifier you thought was doing such a great job? Think again. When making a purchase ALWAYS check the literature to make sure that your product has the ability to capture toxins less than .1 - .005 (microns) in this range. Use this chart to locate the micron size on the spec chart for the model you are considering purchasing.
PART #1 - MOLD SPORES:
For most, mold spores are the most concerning airborne allergen when it comes to being exposed to an indoor water damaged building. Other common concerns can also be plant spores and pollen. Exposure to mold spores (both toxigenic or non-toxic) usually results in an instant allergic reaction, such as runny nose, watering eyes, skin rash, headache, hay fever, sneezing, wheezing, nasal congestion, etc. These are considered the body's first response to introduction of mold spores and is considered an allergic reaction and not "yet" a mold toxicity.
Some types of mold spores can even cause a severe "acute" allergic reactions that go beyond an allergy-type response such as serious breathing difficulties, memory and hearing loss, confusion, headaches, dizziness, flu-like symptoms, brain inflammation, bloody noses and bleeding in the lungs.
One of the best technologies for trapping the "spore" is a True HEPA filter which is usually over 99.97% effective for collecting from the air all mold and plant spores. So, a True HEPA filter is the most critical part of the Air Purifier's design to prevent exposure by plant spores and mold spores from causing an "immediate" allergic reaction.
PART #2 - MYCOTOXINS:
Buying The Right Air Purifier
So now you are thinking: WOW!!! do I really have the time or energy to start researching air purifiers and scientific studies or read through all of the data on each product? Here's where I can help. I have done all the work for you by researching many products and air purifiers on the market so I've taken all the guess-work and painless searching out of the equation.
Here are my recommendations for the "TOP PERFORMING" and "Highest-Recommended" Air Purification Systems for Toxic Mold Spores, Mycotoxins, VOC's (for people with MCS) and Virus capabilities.
IQAir® HealthPro Plus Air Purifier
Proven effective even for particles smaller than 0.003 microns
One important difference between IQAir and many other air cleaning systems is its proven filtration efficiency, both for particles as well as for gaseous pollutants. While standard HEPA filters are designed to stop particles only down to 0.3 microns in diameter, IQAir HyperHEPA® filtration is proven to filter particles down to 0.003 microns, the smallest particles that exist. That is critical when you consider that most viruses, for example, are smaller than 0.3 microns in diameter.
That’s just one of the reasons why the Hong Kong Hospital Authority chose IQAir to help combat the spread of the deadly SARS virus.. At a typical size of 0.08 microns, the SARS virus is well below the 0.3 micron and larger efficiency range at which other manufacturers test . But IQAir’s HyperHEPA filtration is highly effective against the tiny virus, filtering more than 99.5 percent of all particles down to 0.003 microns.
intellipure® UltraFine 468
The only air purifier that eliminates all three indoor air contaminants.
The Ultrafine 468 from Intellipure was designed to neutralize particles, volatile organic compounds, and microorganisms, leaving nothing behind but clean, fresh air. It’s the only air cleaner in the world with this capability. How did our engineers pack so much performance into such a customer-friendly package? By streamlining the design and making the most of every inch. It’s something we call Total System Performance:
- Highest-quality EC motor results in 50% less operating cost
- Incredibly energy efficient, using only 5 watts per hour when on low
- The quietest air purifier of it’s kind, with highest CFM per decibel level of noise in it’s category
- Less dense media filters span the full height of the machine for maximum airflow and filtration power
- Lightweight, compact, portable construction
- Designed for quick and easy filter maintenance and change out
- Sleek design that looks great in every room environment
Disinfecting Filtration Technology
Proven to be 40x more efficient than HEPA filters
- Removes 99.99% of harmful viruses, fungi molds, and bacteria, down to .007 micron in size
- Currently utilized in hospitals, medical clean rooms, government buildings, and military applications
- 100x MORE EFFECTIVE THAN HEPA AIR FILTERS. UltraHEPA FILTER removes 99.95% of particles as small as .003 microns. CADR up to 373 rating. Air purifier fan changes air 3x per hour in 900 sq. ft. room – a larger space than most apartments and offices! Portable home, room, office and indoor air filter, air purifier & air freshener to truly condition, detoxify and purify large spaces.
- AUTO SENSOR measures and adjusts filtration level instantly to air quality -- for True Air Control, Purification & Odor Control. You can also manually choose one of 4 filtration options.
- THE SMART CHOICE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN. ELDERLY, SMOKERS, PET OWNERS and those with allergies or breathing problems. Perfect in the kitchen, bedroom, or nursery. Purify your entire home or office quickly and easily with AirDoctor!
- WHISPER-JET FAN for quiet operation – 30% quieter than traditional air purifiers
ALL filters capture below .003 microns in size.
https://player.vimeo.com/video/116271140 (Please watch their video explanation about how they achieve .003 micron particle size removal.
Blueair 503 HepaSilent Air-Purification System
- Rate (CADR) of 375 cfm with 5 air changes per hour for smoke, dust, and pollen
- Patented HEPASilent® technology traps 99.97% of harmful particles and Chemical/VOC/Mycotoxin down to 0.1 microns in size Clean Air Delivery
- Designed specifically for rooms up to 580 square feet in size
- SurroundAirTM technology takes in air through an area six times larger than the average air purifier
(R1) The Dangerous Hydroxyl Radical
(R2) Free radicals and reactive oxygen
(R3) Effect of Curcumin Against Oxidation of Biomolecules by Hydroxyl Radicals
(R4) Unexpectedly high indoor hydroxyl radical concentrations associated with nitrous acid
(R5) Dangers of Hydroxyl Generators: www.WonderMakers.com
"SAFETY AND HEALTH CONSIDERATIONS Hydroxyl radical generators have three safety and health concerns that contractors should understand. First is the issue of ozone. This is significant, since a number of manufacturers either intentionally mix ozone and hydroxyl radicals for a faster deodorization process or have generators that produce ozone unintentionally. There is no doubt that elevated levels of ozone, even for short periods, are detrimental to health. There’s also fairly good evidence that low levels of ozone over an extended period can be unhealthy. Contractors should not use hydroxyl radical generators that produce levels of ozone above 0.5 ppm in occupied structures. A second potential health concern centers around hydroxyl radicals inside the body. Certain chemical processes can also produce hydroxyl radicals without UV light. When this happens inside living organisms, these are known as “free radicals,” which are damaging to cells and organs. While the medical literature is pretty clear that airborne hydroxyl radicals are blocked by the skin, concerns have been raised about the inhalation of airborne hydroxyl radicals and whether that could trigger the formation of biological free radicals."
Popular Machines we have to say NO!! to and Why
PROS: Airocide is not a filter, however it uses Photocatalytic Oxidation Reactor technology. This type of technology may clear the air Volatile Organic Compounds and molds.
CONS: but it releases "Hydroxyl Radicals" that are harmful to humans and animals.
Because it releases "Hydroxyl" it has now been placed on our "Do not recommend" list.
The Air Oasis 3000 Xtreme G3 captures particles of .1 microns and higher
The Air Oasis 3000 Xtreme G3 is a large room air purifier.
We recommend against it because it emits ozone. Please read our information on the Dangers of Ozone and why it is not recommended in indoor environments.
PureAir - Air Purification System
Pros: Removes 99% of contaminants down to .01 microns, emits no ozone
Cons: Uses Hydroxyl technology that create free radicals into the air.
Molekule has some very "Aggressive" marketing tactics and their investors spend a lot of money in advertising on the web and social media, however....Molekule does not "pass our test" or "meet our requirements" for a machine that is both safe AND deals with mold and mycotoxin effectively.
We've done some extensive research on this machine and their "tricky wording" can hide from the most educated consumer or researcher if they don't know what they are looking for. Unfortunately, here's what we found:
1. "Utilizes free radicals" - This is marketing code for "HYDROXYL". If you see our requirements above it says absolutely no machines that use hydroxyl that produce "free radicals". Free radicals cause cancer. So we have to say no to this machine on "safety".
2. Oxidize pollutants: This is marketing code word for "ozonate" or produces an "ozone" and again, if you see our simple guide above for determining which machines are both safe and capable, the Molekule fails that test.